All you need to know about Iberian America

Visa & Residency Guide to Honduras

Published December 3, 2020 in Honduras , Visa & Residency Information - 0 Comments

Want to know how to live in Honduras on a tourist visa or with residency?

This article will provide you with the basics of how to achieve that.

 By first talking about living in Honduras on a tourist visa…

Then moving onto the nuances of that…

Such as the possibility of doing a visa run….

And also the consequences of overstaying your visa…

Before ending it on the topic of the temporary and permanent residency programs that exist.

For those who wish to live in this country longer than what a tourist visa allows…

And do to so legally and with more security.

So let’s get to it!                

Tourist Visa in Honduras

A tourist visa in Honduras will last for 90 days in total upon entry.

From what I have read, supposedly you can get a 30 day extension but problems getting that extension have been reported online by foreigners who have been through the process.

Overstay the Visa?

It was a bit difficult to find accurate information online on the fine for overstaying your time in Honduras.

From what I could tell, technically, the fine is about ½ of the Honduran minimum wage salary and increases on a monthly basis.

But a lot of the online reports I am reading talk about being charged 200 to 300 USD for overstaying.

That might be your experience or perhaps you get charged less.

Seems a bit more than what other Latin American countries charge for overstaying the visa for sure but that is what I have noticed people reporting online.

If you have any different experiences with this in Honduras, let me know in the comment section below.

Visa Run?

Similar to other C-4 countries, it seems possible to do visa runs in Honduras.

Just leave the country and come back to renew your time allowed in the country and that it is.

Just make sure, from what I understand, to not go to another C-4 country and come back if you want to renew your visa.

From what I have read, some country like Colombia would do – just not a country part of the C-4 group.

Meaning not El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua.

Residency in Honduras?

There are different paths to residency in Honduras – just like in any country.

For example, if you plan to apply as a pensioner, you will be required to prove income from a verifiable source, such as social security, with at least 1,500 USD per month.

However, if you go for the renter option, you will need to prove at least 2,500 USD coming from sources such as rental income or some investment for example.

There are also employment residencies where you can get your temporary residency by having a local employer in Honduras bringing you in to work for them.

You can also get temporary or permanent residency by having a relative living in Honduras who has Honduran citizenship and you are either a spouse or a dependent of that Honduran citizen.

Additionally, you can get residency through investing at least 50,000 USD in a business or approved project in Honduras and also make a deposit of 5,000 USD in the Central Bank.

These are just some of the options available to you to help you get residency in Honduras.

And that’s all the basic information I could find on this subject for now. More to come later.

If you got any questions or comments relevant to this subject, drop them below.

Follow my Twitter here.


Best regards,


No comments yet

Leave a Reply: